"A" Company

The People

Father Duffy

Medal of Honor

Lineage and Honors



Civil War


Spanish American War

Captain Henry Mingay


Rouge Bouquet


World War II




JFK 1963

1966 "The Sergeants"

1967 "The Sergeants"

1969 Beefsteak

1971 Garryowen

1971 Logan - Duffy

Garryowen 1972

1986 CIA

Regimental Installation Ceremony

The Armory

Military Records

Casualties in Iraq

E Company




Historical Restoration Project

Iraqi Freedom

One If By Land

Civil War Flag Project

Check Your Email

Timothy Donohue

Contact Us

Join the Veteran Corps


Names on Crest

1848 Declaration

Fredericksburg 150th

Official History




Company A, 165th Infantry Diary 15 October 1940-31 December 1945




The 165th Infantry was federalized on 15 October 1940. Company A, after the Regiment was federalized, moved with the Regiment by train to Fort McClellan, Alabama on the 26th of October, and arrived at Fort McClellan, Alabama, on the 31st of October: The camp area was set up and routine details and guard were established. The Company officers were:

 Capt W. D. Lynch

Lt. E. J. Strong

 Lt. F. H. Finn

Lt. J. Lennon




During this period the company started their basic field training, con­sisting of preliminary rifle instruction and firing on the known distance range. School of the soldier, and the squad as a team, were also taken up. A field mass for all Catholics in the regiment was conducted on Sundays.




The usual camp duties and the training of the Company were the events of this month. A large percentage of the men left Fort McClellan, Alabama, on a furlough to go to New York for the Christmas holidays. Captain W. D. Lynch was transferred to 3rd Battalion Headquarters, 1st Lt. R. E. Osborne assumed command of the Company.




The men who were home on a Christmas furlough returned to Fort McClellan, Alabama, for duty. A training cadre was formed to train the incoming trainees. Lt. O'Hara joined the Company for duty on 15 January 1941. Lt. F. J. Finn transferred to Company B. Training and the usual camp duties were carried on throughout this period.




Lt. Breen joined the Company for duty. The first group of Selective Service men were assigned to the Company and were issued clothing and equipment. A special training program was set up for the trainees, so that they could reach the proficiency of the men with longer service in a short time. The trainees were oriented by regimental officers as to the history of the regiment and what was expected of the trainees.


MARCH 1941


2nd Lt. Breen was promoted to 1st Lt. The Company continued on the training schedule of both the trainees and men with longer service. Catholic field mass for the regiment was held on Sundays. A Saint Patrick’s day mock parade was staged by all men of the regiment. Athletic events were held in the morning.


APRIL 1941


Lt. J. Lennon was transferred to company L, this regiment. Lt. R. J. Osborn was promoted to Captain. This Company sent 66 men to Birmingham, Alabama, to participate in the Army demonstration at the Legion Stadium. The trip was made by truck and the men camped on the field. The men who participated in the Army demonstration at the Legion Stadium, Birmingham, Alabama, returned by truck. The training of all men continued and advanced to the difficult phases.


MAY 1943.


Preparations for a maneuver were being made and the Company went on several overnight problems. On 23 May 1941 the Company left Fort McClellan, Alabama, and moved by truck to the maneuver area, stopping at Fayetteville, Tennessee, for an overnight bivouac, On 24 May 1941 the Company made a foot march to a bivouac area 5 miles north of Belleville. Distance march was 17 miles. On 25 May 1941 the Company marched from bivouac area to Shelbyville, Tennessee, and the bivouac was reached at 0840. Distance march was 10 miles, In the bivouac area field mass was held. On 26 May 1941 the Company left the bivouac area at Shelbyville and marched to Wartrace, Tennessee.  Distance marched was twenty (20) miles. At Wartrace, preparations continued for the coming maneuver.


JUNE 1941


This Company participated in the maneuvers held in Tennessee. Marching and the setting—up of camp was stressed. Several problems were run by Corps Staff and combat problems were conducted with actual troops. Division problems were also conducted, advance guard formations were taken while on the march. Outposting of defense areas and defense problems were also included. A critique at the end of the maneuver was very beneficial. At the conclusion of the maneuver the Company moved by truck to Fort McClellan, Alabama. Total distance traveled 359 miles.


JULY 1941.


Lt. Kiley was assigned to the Company. Lt. L. J. O’Brien transferred to this Company from company E. The men in the Company were given furloughs.  The training of the Company continued with larger scale problems. Errors noticed on maneuvers were corrected so as to make a smoother working team.




This Company participated in several combat problems in the Alabama Maneuvers area, adjoining the camp. Training continued and stress was placed on teamwork. Combat problems of the Company, Battalion and Regiment were part of the training schedule. Overnight marches and bivouacs were also stressed.  Feeding under combat conditions was also included in this phase of training. During this month the Division moved to Arkansas by truck to participate in . the 2nd Army Maneuvers. Patrolling and reconnaissance were stressed during the early part of the maneuver. From Centerville to Camden, Arkansas, patrolling was the main part of training.




Maneuvers were continued this month. During the maneuver the Company moved from Camden, Arkansas, to Winfield, Louisiana, The Company was en­gaged in small unit problems and then larger scale problems were undertaken. Several Battalion & Regimental problems were conducted; when these were com­pleted Division problems were undertaken, problems involving tanks, artillery and planes were part of the maneuver. The Company then moved from Winfield to Jesup, Louisiana. Here again problems continued and increased until the 2d Army was opposing the 3d Army. A great many combat lessons were learned here to be used later in combat by both officers and men,




This unit returned to Fort McClellan, Alabama, upon the completion of maneuvers, The usual routine guard and fatigue details were re-established. Training continued, to correct errors found in maneuvers.




The usual camp duties were continued during the month. Training in advance phases and refreshing on subjects learned, were the main part of the training schedule. A Thanksgiving Dinner was given by the Company. Catholic field mass was conducted on Thanksgiving Day and Sundays.




Lt E.J, Strong was transferred to 1st Battalion Headquarters. The Company went on several marches during this training period. Small unit tactics were also part of the training program. On 7 December 1941 the news of the attack on pearl Harbor, Oahu, was announced over the radio. Saturday inspections of arms and equipment were conducted, Catholic field mass was conducted with a service for the deceased at pearl Harbor. The Division left Fort McClellan, Alabama, on 16 December 1941 by the Southern Railroad.  The route taken was through Birmingham, Alabama, Mississippi, Amarillo, Texas, and New Mexico; this unit reached its destination of Englewood, Calif., at 235522 December 1941. Upon arrival at the railroad station the Company was put on trucks and transported to the North American Airport, Englewood, Calif. The mission of the Company was to prevent sabotage to the Aircraft Corporation. Interior guard duty and roving patrols were the main duties. A Christmas din­ner was given by the Company. Christmas services were held where possible and men of the Company attended mass.




Left North American Airport, Englewood, Calif., by truck convoy to vicinity of Pomona, Calif. A base camp was set up and a training program was put into effect. This unit left Pomona on 21 January 1942 and marched to Spadra, to entrain for Fort Ord, Calif. The Company entrained at 1404. on the Southern pacific Railroad and arrived at Fort Ord at 090022 January 1942. Distance traveled from Pomona to Fort Ord, Calif., was 393 miles.




An extensive training program was put into effect at this time. Small unit problems and individual training were stressed. Several drill dis­persal plans were put into effect and the units ran through them; dispersal plans were for possible air attack. A full-field inspection was held on the parade field. Brigadier General A. Anderson arid Colonel G, Conroy were the inspecting officers. The following named men joined the Company at Fort Ord, California:


Pvt F.H. Abbot

Pvt H.E. Bacon

Pvt J.T. Berry, Jr.

Pvt A.C. Abelin           39680131

Pvt B.S, Baltekauskas

Pvt R. Binger

Pvt, R.D. Abeyta,

Pvt G.R. Beal, Jr.

Pvt C. Biorcas

Pvt E.M. Allen

Pvt J.J. Becay

Pvt G. Brase

Pvt E. Allen

Pvt R.F. Bechtle

Pvt T.J. Brennan

Pvt A.H. Anderson

Pvt R. Becker, Jr.

Pvt C.A. Browne

Pvt C.L. Anderson      39304531

Pvt E.H. Belinski

Pvt P,E. Peevy

Pvt H.L. Augspurger

Pvt R.A. Bergazzi

Pvt E.T. Tottke


MARCH 1942


Preparation for overseas movement was conducted the early part of this month. On 7 March 1942 the Company entrained at Fort Ord, Calif., and moved to pier 22, San Francisco, Calif., The American Red Cross served coffee and doughnuts on the pier. The troops were then marched aboard the USAT President GRANT and were assigned their quarters. On 8 March 1942 the ship set sail on a Southwest course and joined a convoy. A ship drill was conducted daily, and this included an abandon ship drill, fire drill and air attack drill. On 16 March. the ship anchored at Kajai, T.H., and the troops debarked and were entrucked on Army vehicles The Company moved by truck from the pier to the vicinity of the Barking Sands Airport. Camp was set up and a guard detail established to protect the area. Kekaha, Kauai, T.H,, was also out-posted and a guard established.


APRIL 1942


The usual camp duties of guard and setting up a defense of the coastal area in the vicinity of Kekaha, was the main duties of this organization during this month,


MAY 1942


Barking 3ands Airfield, Kauai, T.H. This Company was given a zone of responsibility and beach patrols were organized and used. Construction of barbed wire fences along the beach and the digging of foxholes and cover and zones of responsibility for combat were selected, and several drill combat problems were conducted,


JUNE 1942.


Defense of the coast was continued and the barbed wire fences were pa­trolled. Guard duty of the Airfield continued. Usual camp and fatigue details.


JULY 1942


Company located in the vicinity of Barking Sands Airport, Kauai, T.H. Construction of beach defenses, and the usual camp duties and guard details continued. A training schedule was put into effect covering weapons, squad tactics and care of clothing and equipment.




Continuation of usual camp duties. The Company constructed several cal, .30 machine gun positions, designed to prevent beach landings. Alerts were held at dawn and dusk.




Usual camp duties, with outpost and interior guards. Continued con­struction of beach defenses. Company strength reduced in accordance with new T/O 7-17, dated 1 April l942, to 193 EM and 6 Officers. Field mass held on the 3d and 10th of September. Unit entrucked 5 September at 0800, and transported 2.7 miles to new CP, arriving at 0900. The construction of the new area commenced this date. This included rebuilding barracks and in­stalling a new communication setup. 23 miles of wire laid and completed in 2 days. After setting up in new area the Company. was engaged the remainder of the month in construction of beach defenses, and installing defensive wire. Company then engaged in rifle marksmanship, range firing of modified complete course. On 8 September this unit and parent Regiment attached to 40th Infantry Division, commanded by Major General Brush, Brigadier General Andersen relieved of command.




This Company was relieved of its mission of beach defense by Company K, 185th Infantry. The Company moved from Barking Sands to Kokee Mt., Kanai, T.H., and participated in an extensive training program. The Company left Kokee on 28 October 1942, and moved to Fort Allen to embark on an inter-island ship, which left Kauai, T.H., 29th of October. The ship docked at Honolulu, and the Company entrucked there and. moved to Bellows Field,




This Company, at Bellows Field, Oahu, T.H., relieved the Antitank Com­pany, 161st Infantry. Most of the time during the month of November was spent in preparing beach positions. When this had, been completed, two platoons occupied the areas necessary for the defense of Bellows Field. The other two remaining platoons were there, engaged in field training. The Company’s mission was to defend the beaches from any landings by the Japanese, and to protect all military installations on Bellows Field. Several alerts (drill alerts) were called by Headquarters Hawaiian Department, and all de­fense installations were inspected. Captain S.S. Stenson, Lt H.A. Berger, Lt O'Connell, Lt P.E. Ryan, Lt M.L. Brewer and Lt Doyle were the Company officers at this time. Captain Stenson commanded the Company, and Lt H.A. Berger was the Executive Officer,




This Company was engaged in the South Sector Maneuvers on the 12th and 13th or December. The maneuvers were for a period of forty-eight hours. On 15 December 1942, the company was relieved of it3 mission at Bellows Field, and went into Battalion Reserve at the Battalion Base Camp located in the vicinity of Kailua. The Company there engaged in a vigorous training program, plus the necessary work done in improving the camp area, Roads were also constructed in the camp area at this time. Training in the use of and firing on the ranges were part of the training during this period. Lt H.A. Berger and Lt P.E. Ryan were transferred from the company. Lt F. Finn was appointed the Executive Officer, when he joined the Company from 1st Battalion Head­quarters Company.




The Company was engaged in a training phase during this period. The Company then participated in a maneuver for two days in the vicinity of Ewa plain, At the Completion of the maneuver the company then moved to Schofield Barracks,



Captain S.S. Stenson was transferred to the 3d Battalion as Commanding Officer of Headquarters company. Captain S.W. Bass assumed command of this Company. Lt L.J. O’Brien joined the Company as the Executive Officer. Lt F. Finn was transferred to 1st Battalion Headquarters. Lt T.P. Fleming joined the Company. Staff Sergeants T. Twomey and K. Evans were transferred to Fort Benning to attend the Officers Candidate School there. During this month while the Company was at Schofield Barracks, Ranger training was in­stituted as part of the training. During this period extensive night man­euvers and combat firing were part of the training schedule, North Sector maneuvers were conducted during the month for four days.


MLRCH 1943


Lt M.L. Brewer and several men of the Company were sent to the Head­quarters Hawaiian Department Ranger School. Lt O'Connell was transferred to Birch (Christmas Island). Lt L.J. O'Brien was transferred to 1st Battalion Headquarters as S—1. The Company was assigned the mission of defending the Kualoa Airstrip commencing; April 1943. Saint Patrick's day was observed in the typical 165th Infantry manner. Fifteen men of the Company participated in a Honolulu parade. A one-week maneuver was conducted during the latter part of the month, in the vicinity of Pali.


APRIL 1943


Lt. L. J. O’Brien assumed command of the Company. T/5 R. Bingen was transferred to Fort Benning, Georgia, to attend the Officers Candidate School there. Lt. G. E. Martin and Lt, V. W. Walsh Jr. joined the Company. Lt M. L. Brewer was transferred to 1st Battalion Headquarters. Lt. T. F. Bowe Jr. joined the Company. The Company remained on duty in the Kualoa area until the 20th of April 1943 when it was relieved and moved to Kaneohe. Easter Sunday was observed by a large number attending mass. The last two days of this month the Company participated in a maneuver conducted by the Headquar­ters Hawaiian Department near Waikane and Libbyville.


MAY 1943


Lt. Doyle was transferred from this Company to Regimental Headquarters Company. Lt. M. Havens, Lt. T. Lalos and Lt. J. N. Walker joined the Company. The first several days of the month wore spent in a Headquarters Hawaiian Department maneuver, then the Company moved to Kaneohe. During the latter part of this month the Company moved to Schofield Barracks and engaged in extensive Amphibious training exercises,


JUNE 1943


2nd Lt. G. E. Martin was promoted to 1st Lt. and later transferred to Company "C" this regiment. Lt. V. W. Walsh Jr. and several men were sent to Ranger School for specialized training. Lt. T. Phelan joined the Company. The Company participated in extensive Amphibious training exercises during this period at Wasnae reservation. A review was held for Company "A" on Bellows Field on the 25th of June 1943. The reviewing Officers were Major General Ralph C. Smith, Commanding General, Colonel Gardiner Conroy, Regimental Commander, and Lt. Colonel Gerard Kelly. The Company at the review was awarded two silver rings for the guidon. The first silver ring was for this Company's participation in the Revolutionary War, as the 8th Company, 1st Regiment New York Line, organized in the year 1775. The second silver ring was awarded for this Company's participation in the War of 1812, when it was known as the 9th Regiment, Artillery.


JULY 1943


This Company was relieved by Company "D", of its mission, which was beach defense. The Company then moved to Kahanaiki, where it resumed its training. Preliminary Rifle instruction was a part of the training schedule. The usual camp fatigue and guard details were also put into effect.




Lt. G. E. Martin rejoined the Company. During this month the Company participated in amphibious training exercises at Waimanalo. On 3 August 1943, Holy Mass was said for all men who had lost their lives in North Africa. During the latter part of the month the Company moved to Pall Training Camp.  Infiltration courses and combat firing problems were part of the training. All men fired the weapons they were armed with, and the crew-served weapons also fired, i.e., M-1, Light Machine Gun, Browning Automatic rifle and 60 mm Mortar.




The Company continued training at the Pali Training Camp. Private First Class Amoud Delcoy was killed from a gunshot wound inflicted on one of the combat courses at the Pali Camp. A march of thirty-four miles was conducted from the Pali camp to Kahuku the early part of the month. Another road march was conducted the latter part of the month from Kahuku to Schofield Barracks. A review was held by the Division to commemorate the day the 27th Division broke through the Hindenberg Line during World War I. Lt. General Richardson was the reviewing Officer.




The Company continued its Amphibious training, and on 4 October 1943 the Company embarked on the USS Calvert (APA 32) for advance Amphibious training. During this period of training, drill landings were made on the Islands of Kauai and Maui, T. H. Arriving at Oahu on 18 October 1943 the Company debarked and moved to Hut City, Schofield Barracks. On 31 October 1943 the Company embarked on the USS Calvert (APA 32) and went to sea for further Amphibious Training.




Amphibious landings were made on the Island of Maui, T. H., for training purposes, Naval gunfire was used in some of the landings to simulate actual landing conditions. The Company embarked on the USS Calvert (APA 32) on 4 November 1943 and moved to Hut City, Schofield Barracks, Lt. M. Havens, Lt. T. Lalos and Lt. M. Phelan were transferred from the Company. Lt. L. J. O’Brien, Company Commander, was promoted to Captain. On 9 November 1943, the Company embarked on the USS Calvert (APA 32). Destination was announced on board ship as Makin Island, in the Gilbert Islands, On 15 November 1943 the following—named officers and men were inducted into the mysteries of the one and only Neptunis Rex and were converted from Pollywogs into Shellbacks:


Capt. L. J. O’Brien Co Cdr

2nd Lt. T. P. Fleming 2d Plt

1st Lt. T. F. Bowe Jr. XO KIA Makin

2nd Lt. J. N. Walker Wpns Plt.

1st Lt. G. E. Martin 1st Platoon

2nd Lt. V. W. Walsh Jr. 3d Plt

Abbott, F. H.

Driskill, D. A.

McGrath, W. F.  KIA Saipan

Abelin, A. C. KIA Saipan

Sgt Dybiel, S. M.

McIllvain, T. A.

Abetya, R. D.

Dutoi, F. H.

McPherson, J. D.

Alexander, D. C.

Earl, W. E.

Medina, M. H. KIA

Sgt Anderson, C. L. KIA

Eaton, C. R. Jr.

Meyer, W. B.

Armstrong, R. J.

Eddington, J. A.

Megilski, A. S.

Barnett, G. W.

Ely, H. W.

Moogan, P. J.

Beal, G. R. Jr.

Farnetti, G.

Moore, L. E.

Becay, J. J.

Fiedler, T. F.

Moore, B. H.

Bechtle, R. F.

Fitzpatrick, J. J.  KIA Saipan

Morton, 0.

Belinski, E. H.

Funderburk, J. E. KIA Okinawa

Murphy, J. R.

Berry, J. T. Jr.

Garcia, I. J.

Murphy, J. A.

Bertig, B. A.

Garcia, M.

Murphy, J. A.

Bottke, B. F.  KIA Saipan

Gebbia, P.

Murphy, S. A.

Bozell, E. S.

George, J. A.

Newman, E. R.

Brewer, H.

Gilbert, D. B.

Newman, V. W.

Bridges, W. F.

Gioidano, B.

Noonan, F. E. KIA

Bridling, G. C.

Gladdin, J M. KIA Saipan

Norman, J. T.

Bronstein, J. A

Gobin, A. S.

Ohler, F. S.

Brown, C. A.

Goldberg, H.

Ostro, F. S.

Brubeachor, G. B.

Gough, M. M. DOW Saipan

O’Toole, J. P. KIA Okinawa

Bulger, P. J. KIA Okinawa

Graylock, W. A.

O’Toole, T. J.

Caidwell, G.

Gula, J.

Potts, M. B.

Cantrell, L. I.

Gumpert, J. W.

Purdy, D. A.  KIA Saipan

Carroll, D.

Gunter, J. B. Jr.

Quick, M. B.

Champ, E. M.

Harrison, J. W.

Rassmussen, C. E.

Sgt Chappetta, E. D. KIA Saipan

Hibbs, L. P.

Reed, L. H.

Clubb, R. W.  KIA Saipan

Hilke, L. J.

Reiker, H. B.

Coley, I. A.

Hill, J. L.

Rogers, D. E. KIA Saipan

Gonster, J. C.

Hill, O

Sanchirico, M. J.

Cook, A. J.

Hill, E. M.

Santopietro, L. A.

Cook, B. T.

Hodgman, K. C.

Schmidt, S. H. Jr.  KIA Saipan

Cook, 0. E.

Hoffman, C. A.

Sekula, J.

Cook, T. C.

Hoffman, C. F.

Servilio, P. D.

Cox, R.

Hook, H. F.

Sharkey, J. F. KIA

Sgt Cresson, K. I.

Hughes, J.

Shires, H. A.

Cripe, H. P.

Iverson, C.

Simor, C. E.  KIA

Collison, W.D.

Johnson, D. E.

Sivolello, F. P.  KIA

Cummings, O.G.

Karpman, F. S.

Smith, E. R. KIA Saipan

Cussic, J. B.

Kaye, S. J.

Smith, W. I.

Czech, S. A.

Kenneddy, H. I.

Stack, W. W. Jr.

Daniels, O. B.

Kznieciaki, F. A.

Sullivan, J. P,  KIA

David, A. G.

Kolodnicki, A. B.

Sweeney, D. J.

Davis, T. E. DOW Okinawa

Kolodziej, W. J.

Talluto, S.

Deitrick, H.H.

Kowalski, B. S.

Taylor, J. M.

DeMaege, F.

Krofchick, E. L.

Tritsch, C. J. KIA Saipan

Dennis, H. J.

Ksiazkiewicz, H.

Tschebaus, W. D.

Destefano, L.

Lees, H. E. FOD Saipan

Tydeman, H. V.

Didrick, H. A. KIA Okinawa

Lint, G. E.

Winter, V. W. KIA Makin

Didrick, P. R.  KIA Saipan

Little, W. H.

Wright, E.

Dilts, W. S.

Laudermilk, K. L.

Wynne, W. J.

Doebley, P. F.

Malecki, V. L. KIA


Drew, F. H.

Masor, S.


Drew, W. S. DOW Saipan

McBride, J. T.




Shuart V.L. KIA Saipan

Kice, W. D. KIA Saipan

Land, P.B. KIA Okinawa




1. At 0830, 20 November 1943, the 165th Infantry Combat Team. landed on Horse Island, Kourbash Atoll (Makin). “A” Company was designated the reserve company of the 1st Battalion. The various elements of "A" Company were divided among the LCV's of the second and third waves.

2. The beach designated as "Red" was assigned to the First Battalion for landing, Due to the presence of coral spirals extending from the beach to a distance of twenty feet and awash with each wave, the LCV's were unable to make a satisfactory beach landing, After several unsuccessful attempts had been made, the troops were ordered by the various boat commanders to debark over the sides of the boats, as it was impossible to lower the boat ramps under these conditions. The water was about three feet deep with waves another two feet high and footing was extremely bad. All of the men were completely drenched. However, a determined effort was made on the part of each individual to keep his weapon dry and free from sand. All weapons, including the weapons of the fourth platoon, were in operating condition when the Company reorganized on the beach.

3. Upon reaching the shore, the platoons moved into the tree line under the command of platoon leaders, and the Company was reorganized under the direction of Captain Lawrence J. O'Brien, the Company Commander. One squad of the third platoon under Sgt. S. M. Dubiel was designated by the Battalion Commander to act as close-in protection for the Battalion Aid Station. At this time, the squad moved out to contact the Battalion Surgeon, During the entire time that the First Battalion was in action, the squad remained with the Battalion Aid Station. Pvt. J. A. George, an ammunition carrier of the fourth platoon's mortars, received a severe arterial cut from coral on his right hand and was treated by T/5 Kice, one of the Company aid men. He was ordered to the Battalion aid station for further treatment by Lt. J. N. Walker, his platoon leader. Shortly afterwards, this man rejoined his unit and continued to perform his duty throughout the action although painfully hurt. The reorganization of the Company was completed at 0915, 20 November 1943.

4. At that time, the Company was in a column of platoons extending East from with the head of the Company about two hundred yards inland. The order of platoons was: First platoon (1), Second Platoon (2), company Headquarters, Fourth Platoon (4), and the Third Platoon (3). At 0930, a group of fifty natives Gilbertese, consisting of men, women, and children, entered the Company area from the left flank in the vicinity of the third platoon. These natives appeared friendly and greeted the troops with salutations of "Good Morning". The troops gave their cigarettes and candy. The natives were directed to the beach area by Lt, V. W. Walsh Jr., platoon leader, third platoon.

5. At 1000, 20 November 1943, upon orders from the Battalion Commander, "A" company moved East between May and Ida in a column of platoons. Up until this time the men were carrying their combat packs. In the vicinity of RJ 1, these packs were discarded and left in platoon dumps under the direction of Lt. T. F. Bowe Jr., Executive Officer of "A" Company. The troops retained their weapons and one-third K rations as well as their two canteens of water. At 1200, the company reached the vicinity of Rita and was ordered to take up the perimeter Defense Formation by the Company Commander. The area selected was open and swampy. When dug, the slit trenches immediately filled with water. These positions were never occupied. At this time the troops ate their one-third K ration. when the Company was secured, Lt. T. P. Fleming, platoon leader, second platoon, with the 1st squad, and S/Sgt H. A. Shires, platoon sergeant, with the third squad, made sweeps North and West respectively of the Company area to clear out any enemy who had been bypassed by the leading rifle companies, but no enemy was encountered by these patrols.

6. At 1500, 20 November 1943, the Battalion Commander alerted the Company and at 1515, Company A formed on the road in the vicinity of Rita facing East in a column of platoons. The order of march was as follows: first platoon, third platoon, Company Headquarters, fourth platoon, and the second platoon. Captain L.J. 0'Brien, with Lt G.E. Martin, the Platoon Leader, first platoon, led the advance. In the vicinity of Jill, the troops came under direct small arms fire and the Company left the road and moved toward the South shore of the Island in order to contact the forward rifle companies. The woods in this area was studded with snipers who continually fired on our troops. In the vicinity of Joan, on the South shore of the Island, a re-grouping of the platoons was carried out1 and the advance begun again immediately. By this time, the men had apparently overcome their timidity and moved forward in a column of platoons without hesitancy.

7. At 1615, 20 November 1943, the Company Commander contacted Company B in the vicinity of an enemy tank trap. company A was ordered to dig in, using the perimeter defense formation under the supervision of Lt T.F. Bowe, Jr. All elements dug in immediately and by 1800, 20 November 1943, all was q4et in the Company area, except for snipers bullets which flew over the positions incessantly all night.

8. On the morning of 21 November 1943 the forward rifle companies were held down by enemy heavy machine suns firing from the North shore of the Island across the tank trap into the First Battalion positions. At 0700, Captain L.J. O'Brien called the Lieutenants and the. Platoon/sergeants to his command post for a conference and the orders for the day. When Lt T.P. Fleming, platoon Leader of the Second Platoon arrived, he advised the Captain that the First Platoon had a Japanese patrol of nine men and one officer pinned down behind the front lines and was subjecting them to aimed small arms fire.  Some members of Company B and the Second Platoon also assisted in pinning down the enemy patrol. During this action, Pvt E.W. Winters, a member of the Second squad of the Second platoon, was hit by enemy rifle fire in the head, and died immediately. Lt G.E. Martin, Platoon Leader of the First platoon, immediately took command of the action and had the first squad of the Second platoon withdraw and had Company B cease firing. Lt G.E. Martin then ordered Sgt C.L. Anderson's squad to continue to fire, this pinning down the enemy and ordered Sgt E.D. Cheppatta to maneuver his squad so as to fire in on the Jap flank. This flank squad moved int3 positi3n by fire and movement; when they were close to the Japs, the squad assaulted the position and killed the enemy with bayonets. The squad killed all but one who escaped, running: into the woods West of the position. While observing this actions Lt T.F. Bowe, Jr., the Executive Officer of Company A, attempt­ing to ascertain the situation, was shot in the head by a sniper firing from the East side of the tank traps Pvt N.A. Creylock, and T/5 Kice, one of the Company aid men, rushed forward to help the officer, but Lt Bowe was dead when the aid man reached him,

9. At 0830, 21 November 1943, Lt V.W. Walsh, Jr., with the third squad of the Third platoon and Staff Sgt K.I. Cresson with the second squad of the Third platoon echeloned to the left rear, moved out past the dead Japs on the West side of the tank trap and proceeded North to the coral road and then West about three hundred yards and then South proceeding inland. At this point, ten dead Japs were found and searched,. The platoon then continued on to the South shore and returned to its previous positions. At 0930, the Third Squad of the Second Platoon, under Sgt K.D. McPherson, was ordered to collect the Company dead and move them to the immediate rear for temporary burial. This mission was accomplished by 1100. At 1115, 21 November 1943, the Second platoon under Lt T.P. Fleming, with the First and Second Squads made a similar sweep as the Third Platoon had, done previously, but proceeded in the opposite direction. During the m3rning, the Company was subjected to continuous small arms fire and heavy machine gun fire from enemy positions on the North shore of the Island and also from across the tank trap.

10. While the Second platoon was caking this sweep of the rearward areas, Company was ordered to proceed across the Tank trap and contact Company F, which had landed further East with the Second Battalion and which was driving West. The Company formed on the South beach, West of the tank trap. The area through which the Company was passing was under fire from enemy machine guns on the North shore but was crossed without casualties. Company F was contacted, the situation clarified, and the Company returned tb its previous positions across the tank trap.

11, At 1200, 21 November l943, medium tanks with Infantry following were sighted approaching from the East and Lt G.E. Martin effected contact with them at 1210. At 1300, a large number of natives began to arrive in the vicinity of the Company positions. The Company Commander selected the Third platoon, under his personal command, and used them to guard and protect the natives, assisted by s/set K.I. Cresson, Platoon Sgt, 3d Platoon.

12. At 1300, 21 November 1943, the Regimental Commander ordered Company A to assist the attack of the Second Battalion which was driving East in the vicinity of Wharf D. The Company crossed the tank trap on the South beach, turned North on the East side of the tank trap, proceeded to the road and then turned west along the road until contact was made with the 2d Bn Comdr, in the vicinity of Wharf C.  In the vicinity of Wharf C, the Third platoon extended across the Island in a skirmish line facing East and moved forward two hundred yards, then the Second Platoon formed a similar line and prepared to support the advance of the Third Platoon. At this point, the Company Commander was ordered to move the Company forward. and effect contact with the leading rifle company. All platoons formed on the road and moved forward toward the East.

13. Companies E, G and H held a line approximately two hundred yards to the East of Wharf D, facing East. At Wharf D, Company was ordered to prepare positions facing East and to hold this line for the night. At 1815, 21 November 1943, Company A was in position and the forward companies began to withdraw through the lines. These companies took up positions along the North and South shores or the Island, anchoring the flanks of Company A, facing sea­ward. One platoon of heavy machine guns of Company D was attached to the Company under the. command of Lt Weber and took up positions on the North shore firing generally East. During the night Jap snipers advanced to our lines and were active all night. Hand grenades and knee mortar shells were constantly dropped in our general vicinity. Rifle fire was returned but no definite results were observed. No casualties were suffered by Company A during the action.

14. At 0700, 22 November 1943, the Third Battalion relieved Company A on the line. The Company moved to the road and proceeded west to the vicinity of wharf B. At 0930 the Company, less two squads of the First Platoon, and the Mortar 5ections, plus one platoon of heavy machine guns, under Lt Weber of Company D, embarked in six LVTs, These LVTs made a flank maneuver in the water, and landed these elements of the Company approximately three thousand yards to the East of the Third Battalion’s front line, and consequently behind the Jap line. The landing was made in the vicinity of a native village. During the landing, two natives approached the advancing Third Platoon on the Company’s left flank and volunteered information concerning the Japanese. NO enemy resistance was encountered during this landing. These natives were questioned by Lt V.W. Walsh, Jr., and he was informed that about fifty Jap soldiers passed through the village about one half hour previous to our landing and had headed East, The Company Commander then immediately ordered a block established across the Island facing East and West. The Second Platoon with the heavy machine guns and one BAR from the First platoon dug in facing West on the west side of an incomplete tank trap, and. the Third Platoon, with six men from the First Platoon and a section of light machine guns from the Fourth Platoon, dug in f-acing East,

15. At 0900, 22 November 1943, the Third Platoon under Lt Walsh, Jr., was ordered to proceed East along the road and contact the forward elements of the Third Battalion who were approaching West along the road in the vi­cinity of Insect Village. The Third Platoon had proceeded approximately two hundred yards along the road, when the mission was cancelled by the Regimental Commander, as all organized enemy resistance had ceased.

16. At 1100, 22 November 1943, Company A was ordered to proceed West along the road to Wharf C. The Company embarked on LSTS and was transferred to the USS Calvert (APA 32) at 1600, 22 November 1943.




Upon completion of the Makin Operation, the Company debarked from the USS Calvert (APL132), on the 2d of December, 1943, and moved to Hut City, Schofield Barracks. During this month the Company moved to Bellows Field, Oahu, T.H. The mission of the Company at Bellows Field was base security.  Christmas was celebrated with a mass and Christmas dinner,




The Company moved to Unit Jungle training camp for a one-week training period in jungle living arid tactics. The Company was commended by the Camp Commander for its excellent work and enthusiasm while undergoing the rigid. course at Unit Jungle Training Camp.  The Company, upon completion of its course, moved to Kahuku and later during the month returned to Schofield Barracks.




The Company moved to the Waiawa Amphibious Training Center and started a training period of amphibious 1anding, which included landing in rubber boats. From there the Company then moved to the Kahuku areas Lt Doss and Lt M.C. Masem joined the Company. The Company moved to the Waihole area for a two-day maneuver against simulated Jap positions. The Company moved to Fort Karn (Kamehamoha) for one week, then it moved to Schofield Barrakks.


MARCH 1944


The Company moved to Kahuku Training Center for additional training  On Saint Patrick’s Day, mass was held, followed by a typical Company “A” Saint Patrick’s Day party. Lt Harraghy joined the Company this month.


APRIL 1944


Easter services were held, Following the services the Company participated in a Regimental review at Schofield Barracks. General Donovan and General Ralph Smith were the reviewing officers. At a later date another Regimental review was had, the reviewing officer was Lt General Richardson. During this review, awards for heroism displayed on the Makin ~to1l Operation were presented by the Commanding Officer to the following officers and men:


Capt L.J. O'Brien   Bronze Star

1st Lt G. E. Martin   Bronze Star

S/Sgt K.I. Cresson   Bronze Star

S/Sgt T.J. O'Toole   Bronze Star

PFC W. A. Greylock    Bronze Star


Qn l April 1944, the Company embarked. on the USS O'Hara (APA 89) for more training in amphibious landings. During this phase of training, drill land­ing operations were made on the Island of Maui, HI. The Company completed this phase of training and embarked on the USS O'Hara (AP 89) to return to Schofield Barracks where the Company debarked on 26 April l944~


MAY 1944


Church services were held for Mothers' Day. Services were conducted, in a Regimental formation. Lt Myers joined the company. The Company, during the early part of the month, was training in the use of demolitions, and the firing of all the weapons in the Company. On 18 May 1944 the Company embarked on the USS Harris (APA 2) and made amphibious drill landings on the Island of Maui. The Company debarked from the USS Harris (APA 2) at Schofield barracks on 24 May l944. Memorial services were held at Schofield barracks, for all deceased members of the Regiment, on 30 May l944.




31 May 1944. Company left Schofield Barracks, Oahu, at 1030 and entrained on Oahu's narrow gauge railroad at l045.  Company A, together with other elements of the Regiment, left for Pearl Harbor, Oahu, HI at 1100, arriving at l200. Every move had been well-planned and after going aboard the USS Harris (APA 2) at 1300, everyone was squared away in short order. Routine duties and preparation for sailing consumed the remainder of the day.


JUNE 1944


1 June 1944. The USS Harris (APA 2) weighed anchor at 0545 from Pearl Harbor, Oahu, T.H. Regardless of the early hour all men were awake and. anxious for a last glimpse of the Paradise Isles. Secrecy regulations pre­vented men going topside until we were underway, and then Oahu was becoming dim by the intervening mi1es. At 1000, after an abandon ship drill, the ship’s intercom system blared forth, quote: "Good morning, this is the Captain of the ship speaking. This task force is out to capture Saipan, Tinian and Guam" unquote. The Marianas Islands, our destination and the outer defenses of Japan, within reach of the homeland by our air forces.  At 1400 LTC James L. Mahoney, CO 1st Bn, 165th Inf, gave us a more complete picture of the forthcoming operation.


2 to 8 June, 1944. Lt Vincent W. Walsh, recently transferred to Company C, this regiment, returned to this Company with primary duty as Platoon Leader. Usual fatigue duties, orientation, lectures and calisthenics made for a full and busy day. Church services well received and attended as was the nightly show.


9 to 15 June, 1944. USS Harris (APA 2) arrived at and anchored off Kwajalein Atoll, Marshall Islands, at 1400 for additional supplies and further information on pending operation. mail received and most welcomed. The ship set sail from the Atoll at 1700. Usual fatigue duties re1igious services, lectures, orientation, and. movies continued throughout the remainder of the voyage.


16 June 1944. Arrived in target area at 0600. Circled Saipan and Tinian Islands, observing preliminary stages of the attack, Two small Jap barges were burning from an air attack earlier in the morning. Approximately 125 men from this unit landed at Blue Beach 2 at 2330, after having debarked into LCVPS at 1800 Company reorganized and dug in to wait arrival of the remainder of the unit, The enemy let go with an artillery barrage on the beach, but we suffered no casualties


17 June 1944. The 165th RCT was committed at 0100. Upon orders, Company A moved Southeast along beach for distance of approximately 3000 yards. March continued North for 400 yards, arriving at 0400k Dug in, rested and awaited balance of Company with arrived with a Tank Destroyer unit at 0630. Company A committed.  At 1715, After reorganizing, this Company moved forward in the assault; the Second and Third Platoons in the assault, and the First Platoon in support. The direction of the assault was Southeast. After advancing 400 yards the Company was ha1ted by three mutually-supported pillboxes. The pillboxes were by—passed and. left for supporting unit to clear up, in order to reach objective 2000 yards to the Southeast, The First Platoon neutralized and destroyed pillboxes and re­joined Company. Pil1boxes contained rif1emen, a light machine gun and one 37mm antitank gun. Company arrived without mishap to canefield parallel to and 800 yards from its objective, the ridge overlooking Aslito Airfield, where unit reorganized in preparation for final assau1t. After preliminary supporting fires unit jumped off under protective overhead machine gun fire. Company A advanced and captured ridge overlooking Aslito Airfield. at 1630 and immediately consolidated gains.  Patrols pushed forward to regain contact with enemy force. Enemy counter-attack began at 1700 under continuous artil­lery, mortar and machine gun fire 1000 yards Northwest from ridge. Company ordered to withdraw and did, so, orderly covering their withdrawal to a point 200 yards South of smal1 village, to high ground, where unit reorganized arid set up perimeter. Days combat cost unit 4 KIA, and 18 EM WIA.


18 June 1944. After an uneventful night the Company again jumped off at 0730 to retake ridge overlooking Aslito Airfield.  Mission was successfully completed and united with Companies B and E of this Regiment to hold the ridge, which was under constant artillery and mortar fire, in preparation for a counter-attack which never came. Gains were consolidated, Area taken was defended by land mines, booby traps, and eight 6" Coastal Guns. Company relieved by Company A 105th Infantry Regiment at 1215 and withdrew to the rear approximately 100 yards. After reorganizing, Company A moved 600 yards Northeast to Aslito Airfield, where at 1330 unit moved off in support of Company B, this Regiment. At 1900 arrived in vicinity of Magicienne Bay after having traveled. approximately 800 yards. Enemy resistance light, interspersed with artillery and mortar fire.  Company A tied in with the 24th Marine regiment and set up nightly perimeter.


19 June l944. Assault continued at 0800 in vicinity of Magicienne Bay.  Terrain encountered was traversed under difficult conditions. Jagged rock and coral precipices and thick vegetation limited visibility- to less than 20 feet. Men of this unit had a number of contacts with the enemy at extremely short ranges of from 10 to 20 yards. Right flank of the Company reached the beach, which was its mission, and tied in with Company E of this Regiment at 1100. Meanwhile the left flank was held up because of advancing 450 yards in seven hours of intense jungle fighting. Company captured its first three prisoners. At 1630 Company A was relieved by Company I, this regiment, and retired 800 yards Southwest as Battalion Reserve, approximate location 600 yards Northeast of Aslito Airfield, Perimeter set up at 1700. At 1915 the Company was fed and watered for first tine in many days. at dusk, orders were received to move toward Aslito Airfie1d in support of Companies B and C, this regiment. Company dug in and set up perimeter defense at 2000. Lost our first officer today, Lt William B. Harraghy, WIA.


20 June 1944, At 0730 this unit moved from a Aslito Airfield and at 1250 reverted to Battalion reserve.  Unit moved, to Magicienne Bay area with the mission of fi1ling in a gap of 700 yards which existed between the 24th Marine Regiment and Company B of this Regiment. Perimeter set up at 1600. Enemy sniper fire was intense during the entire day.


21 June 1944.  Remained stationary during the day, sending out patrols to locate enemy snipers. Jap prisoner brought in making a total of 4.  Light artillery barrages continued during day and night. Artillery fire requested to neutralize same. Our counter-battery fire was very accurate.


22 June 1944. U.S. P-47s landed. at Aslito Airfield. Morale of troops boosted to see friendly planes using As1ito Airfield, for which they had fought so hard to obtain.  At 1100 this unit was relieved by Company A 105th Infantry and moved approximately 600 yards to the rear where a perimeter was set up at 1630. Spasmodic artillery fire during the evening.


23 June 1945. At 0530 thi6 Company moved forward to vicinity of target square R3561 where Company acted as vanguard for the 165th Infantry. Relieved the Marines at 1330 and prepared to assault ridge to our front. Attack commenced at 1400. Heavy casualties were inflicted by the enemy from mortar arid machine gun fire which was continuous.  Part of the Company maneuvered to its left approximately 100 yards with the mission of c1earing out entrenched enemy in thick vegetation along the ridge. The attack was halted almost immediately by intense mortar, machine gun and sniper fire. Patrols were dispatched and after engaging enemy machine gun positions were forced to withdraw because of excessive casualties. At l800 after severe fighting, Company withdrew 100 yards to vicinity of line of departure and set up nightly perimeter. Two enemy tanks observed passing in rear of Company lines along the road. Company Commander notified Battalion of conditions. One tank set afire and later abandoned.


24 June 1944. Attack continued at 0805 with mission of securing ridge to our front in vicinity of RU 561, Difficult terrain conditions were en­countered but despite considerable enemy opposition, consisting of mortar, heavy machine gun and rifle fire, the Company pressed the attack until it had secured the military crest of the ridge.  Unit reorganized and conso1idated gains. Perimeter set up at 1730, and Company tied in with Second Battalion this Regiment on the left, and Marines on the right.


25 June 1944. Company moved forward at 0800 cleaning up the ridge which had given them so much troub1e. Later reports show that this was General Saito’s headquarters. Company moved 400 yards forward coming to open and scattered. canefie1ds. platoon patrols searched out areas the front and flanks to destroy any remaining enemy resistance as well as to reestablish contacts. Friendly troops reported on both flanks, perimeter set up at 1700. accidental shooting injured one man. All elements of the Company, now depleted through excessive casualties, were reorganized. First issue of cigarettes received and greatly appreciated.


26 June 1944. At 1000 Company A in route column via road moved around Kagman point approximately 800 yards when advance was halted by intense mortar, machine gun and rifle fire. Company maneuvered and swung inland. At 1400, after an advance of 400 yards Northeast, the Company was again halted by concentrated fires.  Enemy entrenched in very hilly, cave-studded terrain with abundant vegetation, ideal for defense with excellent observa­tion. At 1730 perimeter was set up. Enemy sniper fire was very active during the night


27 June 1944. attack continued at 0800 in conjunction with units of 105th Infantry.  Approximately 500 yards had been traversed when narrow front enabled the company to revert to support of 105th Infantry. Advance continued to a point 400 yards East of RV 495 when heavy fire of all types halted their advance reconnaissance patrols were dispatched and perimeter set up at 1300.


28 June 1944. Company A at 0700 moved forward to attack a ridge to the front in the vicinity of Papoko. No preparatory attack fires were given although called for and attack was halted by heavy mortar, artillery and. machine gun fire, forcing a withdrawal of 200 yards so as to reorganize and consolidate. Patrols sent out to obtain information of enemy strength, disposition, and entrenchments. Large numbers, 200 or more, were reported firmly entrenched a1ong entire ridge. Enemy fire continued all day and through the night. Upon request, artillery and heavy mortars laid barrage after barrage along the ridge in a continuous stream.  Lt Albert J. Doss wounded in action in today’s battle, making the second officer to be lost.


29 June 1944. Company remained stationary throughout the day although. shifted troops and deployed men to be out of enemy observation. Patrols dispatched to base of ridge arid reported the enemy very active .enemy harassed friendly movement with mortar and automatic fire. This unit, from defilade, poured a continuous stream of 60mm mortar fire into enemy posi­tions spotted and reported by patrols, Set up perimeter at 1700, Lt Albert J. Doss officially reported having died of wounds received yesterday. 30 June 1944. stationary positions held. Patrols, combat and recon­naissance, active. One patrols attempting to infiltrate through enemy lines, fired upon by machine guns and point-blank artillery fire but suffered no casualties. artillery piece fired spasmodically at vehicles to our rear. Our observation established the fact that no direct hits were being received hut rather intended as a harassing agent. Perimeter set in at l630.


JULY 1944


1 July 1944. At 0700 this Company was relieved by the Marines.  Unit moved forward through the Karabarra Pass up to that part of the ridge now in friendly hands a distance of 500 yards. Relieved Company A 195th Infantry and tied in with units on our right and left4 17.eorganized smaller units and consolidated positions. Patrols were very active seeking information and attempting to establish contact with the enemy to our front. On high point of ridge Company F established. Perimeter set in at 1630. Sniper fire intense during daylight hours.


2 July 1944. A unit of the 24th Marines relieved this unit at O3OO when we marched Northeast to contact and extend the right flank of the Third Battalion of this regiment. Line extended, at 1000, running North and South. Orders received to hold present position. Patrols sent out to eliminate intensive sniper fire, returned and reported Mission accomplished. Perimeter set in at 1730 and an uneventful evening followed.


3 July 1944. This unit jumped off at 0700, traversing a distance of 200 yards to secure Hill 760. Observation was excellent. Company CP re­ported friendly troops on left flank, west shore of Saipan, moving rapidly forward, mopping up as they advanced. At 1200 notification of a possible enemy air assault alerted all men.  A Jap patrol, successful in infiltrating through our lines, was spotted and annihilated, During a forward movement of 400 yards begun at 1500, the Company passed through an area showing all signs of turmoil and defeat of the enemy. Trucks, ammo dumps, storage houses and gun positions were left untouched by the enemy’s hasty retreat. Set up our perimeter at 1730. The commanding terrain held by our troops enabled the Company to look at enemy vessels sunk or destroyed in Tanapag Harbor.


4 July 1944. Independence Day. At 0700 Company moved forward, mission being to roach the beach. A Marine unit was tied, in on the right flank and Company C this Regiment on the left. Day’ s approximate forward movement was 700 yards. Many enemy were killed with added signs pointing to further retreat of others, 1st Sgt C. Hoffman was wounded when the tank that he was directing forward struck a land mine. Perimeter set in at 1800.


5 July 1944. At 0900 this Company was relieved by a unit of the 195th Infantry, and moved 1000 yards west Northwest of Choran Tarhohoi to the Regimental reserve. Troops estab1ished perimeter immediately and spent the rest of the day in the care and cleaning of equipment. Religious services were attended. Defense of perimeter set in at 1700,


6 July 1944. At 0630 Company A moved North approximately 600 yards, contacted and relieved Company K of this Regiment. At 0900 the Company moved forward in the assault mission still being to reach the bench. Con­siderable enemy resistance was encountered in thick vegetation and wooded areas. A small ridge in the line of advance was secured to inflict heavy casualties on the enemy from the flanks and forward slopes of ridge to our front. Unit, after an intense and bitter fire right was forced to withdraw 100 yards and set up the perimeter at 1930. At 1930 Lt Matthew C Masem, PFCs F.E. Noonan, L.M.. Reed, J. Sekula, J.A. Bronstien, and Pvt P.B. Land, acting as a patrol, passed through friendly perimeters and returned to vicinity of ridge to evacuate PFC William S. Drew, who, having been wounded, was unable to be evacuated during day1ight hours because of intense fire. Upon returning, Patrol notified Company Commander of enemy troops by aid of flash lights moving up deep ravine on left flank of Company, awaiting developments


7 July 1944.  At 0600 the left flank, exceptionally alert, observed the enemy making a futile charge up a small vi1lage, unarmed, shouting and screaming.  It completely bewildered the men to see such a fanatical and futile display of stupidity.  Fire was directed upon them with resulting enemy dead of 12. After a pre—attack barrage of artillery and mortar fire this unit jumped off at 0800. Company advanced forward supported by machine gun fire and secured a ridge 600 yards to the front. Unit consolidated gain and set up perimeter at 1700, Outposts established and a1l caves and. emplacements in area blown shut or destroyed.


8 July 1944.  After tying in with the Marines on the 1eft flank the company jumped off at 0800 in the assault, attempting to reach the beach. Movement over ledges and into terrain studded with caves and rocky crevices hidden by dense growth proved extremely difficult and costly. Close combat with occasional hand-to-hand fighting ensued. Enemy used hand grenades extensively. After bitter fighting the Company moved forward approximately 500 yards, attaining low around on the Western shore of Saipan. Perimeter set in at 1730.


9 July1944. Tied in with the Marines on our left flank, the line moved forward at 0800, determined to complete the mission of arriving on the beach in the vicinity of Tarapap. Movement was Northeast, and a typical infantry assault and mopping up of scattered resistance was undertaken, Supported by tanks, flame throwers, SPMs, and machine guns, the line moved like a well-maintained indestructible machine. When the Japs were discovered by our men they commenced to blow themselves up with hand grenade. Those that chose to fight were annihilated or captured. Mission was completed at 1600. All enemy organized resistance in that sector was obliterated. After a movement of 100 yards North, perimeter was set in with the Second Battalion, this Regiment.


10 July l944. Stationary positions maintained. Enemy stragglers were very active during the evening. Patrols were very active. During early morning a Jap officer was killed attempting to infiltrate through our lines, forcing civilians before him. Unfortunately, all civilians were killed. Another Jap soldier coming from our rear was killed. All bodies were buried V-mail blanks were issued, permitting everyone to write home.


11 July 1944. Remained in defensive positions and sent out patrols who killed five Jap soldiers, three of whom were officers, Civilians, for some reason, are hiding during the day and attempting to pass through us in the dark. Unfortunately for then, American soldiers are expert rif1emen. Most of the male population, soldier or civilian, carry grenades.


12 July 1944. Burial parties worked from 0800 to 1200, covering and disposing of enemy dead.  The smell of dead is everywhere. At 1230, Company A joined the First Battalion, this Regiment, and prepared for the march to our rest camp. Traveled in column to vicinity of Magicienne Bay, arriving at 1400. Distance traveled was approximately eight nukes. Camp was established at 1630, Barrack bags were delivered to troops and everyone headed for the beach for a wash-up and clean clothes. The smell of Jap still lingers around. Set up perimeter at 1800.


13 July 1944 to 31 July 1944. Routine camp life established. Religious services held every day.  Movies and other special service entertainment established. Guard detail set up. Company occasionally sent out patrols for anti-sniper work and for guarding the 102d Medical C1earing Station.  Care and cleaning of equipment occupied part of the time. A boat 1oading plan for LCVPS was prepared for possible commitment on Tinian in support of the Marines. Troops visited cemeteries, and members of this unit attended Dedication Service at 27th Division Cemetery at 1400, July 25th. The address was given by Major General George W. Griner,




3 August 1944. At 0800 this Company moved to vicinity of RV 218, 300 yards east of Maspii Point, arriving at 1000 in truck convoy. Company was reorganized and at 1200 moved 300 yards Northeast and relieved Company A, 105th Infantry. Mission called for a sweep forward toward Naopii Point Airfield and the cleaning-out of any enemy remaining in area. At 1400 the Company moved 300 yards and set up defense awaiting units on right and left.  Perimeter set up at 1700.


4 August 1944. At 0200 enemy was observed advancing toward perimeter. Troops opened fire, killing three. At 0800 a civilian family of seven persons surrendered to this Company. At 0830, after moving 250 yards, two enemy soldiers were killed, while one civilian attempting to flee was captured. Mopping-up operations continued for approximately 120 yards, when a halt was ordered. Unit set up perimeter at 1630, approximate1y 600 yards to the rear of Maopii Point Airport,


5 August 1944.  At 0700 this unit moved forward across the Maopii point Airfield mopping-up as they advanced. Enemy movement was discovered on the beach at 1200. Our movement continued forward until water line was reached at 1500, Five enemy soldiers, including two officers, were cornered and annihilated but not until after a terrific although one-sided battle. The mission being completed, the unit moved to previous evenings defensive position and set in at 1700, Lt Franklin D. Anderson joined the Company from regimental Headquarters,


6-31 August 1944. Unit returned to base camp via Magicienne Bay after mopping-up operation had been comp1eted. Anti-sniper patrols were active during this period. Routine duties, care and cleaning of equipment, and a half-day training schedule was the daily activity at base camp, Training in all types of captured Jap weapons gave men confidence and valuable knowledge, and most were expert shots when training was completed.  Occasional battle critiques on the very ground we had once fought for proved inva1uable, interesting, and also afforded an opportunity for the men to see the Island. Various trips were taken to the 27th Division Cemetery in memory of our men who gave their lives for God and Country.  Majority of men attended a Memorial Service for deceased members of the Company, which was held in the Saipan Bowl at 1600, 11 August 1944. Lt William E. Harraghy was promoted to 1st Lt on 12 August 1944.  An increase of Dengue Fever sent many men to the hospital. Most of the men returned within two weeks, but the ravages of the fever left them weak and sickly for many weeks thereafter.




1-22 September 1944. Company engaged in training schedule which consisted of’ functioning and firing of all Jap weapons available, visits to various parts of the Island for battle critiques, use of demolitions, knowledge of many enemy mines and booby traps, orientation of World events, our own and enemy strategy, and various other subjects relating to the Infantry soldier.  Religious services were attended daily.  Sunday included a religious service and a trip to the 27th Division Cemetery and. to all others (4th and 2d Marines) to visit departed friends or former members of the company. Preparation for sailing underway.


23 September to 5 October, 1944. This Company left Saipan, Marianas Islands, from Magicienne Bay at 2015 23 September 1944. Truck convoy arrived at Tanapoy Harbor at 2315, a distance of 12 miles. Troops embarked on LVTs at 2330 and reembarked at 2345 aboard USAT Robin Doncaster, which lay at anchor in the stream. Ship set sail in convoy at 1700 on the 24th. Routine guard and fatigue details, and church services daily. USAT Robin Doncaster anchored in lagoon of Eniwetok Atoll at 1200 29 September 1944, in order to resupply and receive mail. Ship set sail at 1400 the following day. at 1330 2 October 1944 the USAT Doncaster, carrying many lowly polly-wogs, cross the Equator at 165 degrees East Longitude. Ceremonies for the pollywogs was begin at 1400 the following day officially. All the previous evening had seen anxious parties holding their own ceremony. King Neptune, now relieved of lowly pollywogs, showed his pleasure by a calm sea and a cloudless sky. Ship docked at Espiritu Santo in the New Hebrides at 1515 on 5 October 1944. The ship anchored at 1530. Debarkation began by Navy Motor launch at 1950. Troops landed on Espiritu Santo at 2005 and immediately entrucked at 2010, arriving at base camp and establishing same at 2100 after having traveled approximately seven miles. 2d Lt Matthew C. Masem promoted to 1st Lt. The following—named officers and men were awarded decorations for their bravery and devotion to duty on the Saipan, Marianas Islands, operation. The awards were presented at several Division reviews.



Capt L J. 0'Brien Silver Star

S/Sgt H.V. Tydeman ....Bronze Star

Lt LC. Masem..... Bronze Star

Sgt L.I. Cantrell ....Bronze Star

T/Sgt M.H. Medina...... Silver Star

Sgt D.A. Driskell ....Bronze Star

T/Sgt H.A. Shires....Silver Star

Sgt C.F. Hoffman......Bronze Star

S/Sgt C.A. Hoffman.....Silver Star

Pfc J.J. Becay........Bronze Star

Pfc T.E. Davis.........Silver Star

Pfc J.A. Bronstein....Bronze Star

Pfc. R.L. King..........Silver Star

PFC S.J. Kaye.......,...Bronze Star

1st Sgt. T.J. O'Toole...Bronze Star

Pfc H.R. Kennedy......Bronze Star

S/Sgt R. Cox.......Bronze Star

Pfc E.S. Kowalski.....Bronze Star

S/Sgt G.E. Lint.......Bronze Star

Pfc P.B. Land.......Bronze Star

Pfc F.E. Noonan....Bronze Star



6 - 31 October 1944. Company completed setting up camp area arid an extensive training schedule was activated and put into effect. Tactics of small units, physical ability and proficiency in weapons was stressed. Company Commander, Captain Lawrence J. O’Brien, was relieved from assign­ment and duty with this Company and assigned as "S-3" to First Battalion Head­quarters Company, 165th infantry on 28 October 1944. 1st Lt James M. O’ Brien, who joined this organization from Regimental Headquarters as a Platoon Leader a week previous to this, succeeded Captain O’Brien as Company Commander of Company A the same day. Lt Vincent W. Walsh, Jr., was relieved from duty as Company Executive Officer and Platoon Leader and assigned as S—2 with First Battalion Headquarters Company, 165th Infantry. Lt Henry E. McDonnel, who joined the rear echelon of Headquarters 27th Infantry Division on September 23, 1944 (temporary duty with Headquarters 27th inf Div) returned to duty with this organization as Platoon Commander. Lt John N. Walker, on temporary duty with rear echelon, rejoined Company 5 October 1944. Lt Henry F McDonnel, Jr., was transferred to Company G, this Regiment, at this time. 25  lst Lt Charles A. Sargent was transferred to this organization from Company D, this Regiment.




Extensive training program continued. The following-named enlisted men were assigned to the organization 22 November 1944:


Pfc. Joseph W, Aubin

Pvt Charles F. Emigh

Pfc Roy T. Johns

Pvt Herbert C. Parley

Pfc Howard V, Ware

Pvt Millard Filmore

Pvt Earl 0. Suober

Pvt Leo F. Foley

Pvt Russell A. Morgan

Pvt Harold W, Lee

Pvt Lawrence B, Spear

Fv-t Paul R. Lively

Pvt John A. Walker

Pvt Jack C. Manis

Pvt Frank C, Warren

Pvt Ingram C. Mitchell

Pvt Wilson, Robert M.

Pvt Ernie F. Crosley

Pvt Rex Smith



Company participated in a Regimental Review held at the Divisional Reviewing Field. Major General Griner, Commanding General of the 27th Infantry Division, reviewed troops at 1400, 29 November 1944..




1st Lt Stephen R, Skuthan joined Company A December 8th. The first part of this month was devoted to the usual organizational duties. Between 4-15 December all troops fired the M-1 Rifle and the Carbine for familiarization and record, 38 privates were assigned to the Company as replacements, on the 25th, At 1415 on the 27th, Company H entrucked and moved up to UJTC in the vicinity of Luganville Airfield. Distance traveled was 13 miles, Arrived at about 1515 and set up camp,




Several men in the Company with 32 or more months overseas were given TDR&R furloughs in the United States. At 1030 on the 6th, Company A entrucked and moved to Turtle Bay area, Espiritu Santo, N.H., total distance traveled was 24 miles. Company arrived at 1140 and spent the rest of the day setting up camp, and taking care of clothing and equipment. On the. 8th, the 27th Inf Division held, an Organization Day Review on the Division Parade Grounds at Espiritu Santo, N.H. The Reviewing Officer was Lt Gen Robert C. Richardson, Jr., who was the CG, POA, Company A formed at Turtle Day Camp and entrucked at 0720 and proceeded via motor convoy to the Regimental Base Camp, arriving at 0930, distance traveled 12 miles. Company formed at 1000 and marched in Regimental formation to the Division Review Field, and passed in review at 1040, then returned to Base Camp. Entrucked at 1205 and proceeded to Turtle Bay Camp at 1310.




On the 1st, 36 privates were promoted to Private First Class in accord­ance with Change #5 to AR 615-5, dated 9 Dec 1944. 1st Lt Charles A. Sargent was relieved from assignment to Company and assigned to Company B, 165th Inf., on the 3d. On February 4th at 0215, the company entrucked at Base Camp and moved via motor convoy to Turtle Bay Area, Espiritu Santo, N.H., distance traveled 22 miles, arriving at Turtle gay area at 1040. Immediately set up camp and prepared for one weeks training, consisting of Infantry working with tanks. On February 9th at 1230 the Company returned to Base Camp, set up camp and. continued with usual guard and fatigue details. There was a Regimental Review held on the Division Parade Grounds on the 17th, and this Company formed at 0900 and marched to the Division Review Field. Bronze Stars and purple Hearts were awarded to several officers and enlisted men of the 165th Infantry Regiment by Major General George W. Griner, CG 27th Inf Div. All troops passed in review and marched. back to Company areas. T/Sgt Kermit I. Cresson, a member of this organization, was discharged on the 19th to accept commission in the Army of the United States, effective 12 February 1945. Sgt Cresson was Platoon Sgt, First Platoon, Company A.


MARCH 1945


On the 3d of this month Company A participated in a color ceremony in which the Combat Battalion Infantry Streamer was presented to the let, 2d and 3d Battalions. The presentation of streamers was made by Col Gerard W. Kelley, Commanding Officer’ of the 165th Infantry Regiment, 1st Sgt Thomas J. O’Toole of company A was discharged on the 8th to accept a commission in the Army of the United States, 2d Lt O’Toole was then assigned back to the Company as Platoon Leader, Second platoon. 2d Lt Franklin D, Anderson was relieved from assignment to the Company on the 9th, and assigned to Hq 165th lnf. Regt. At 1000 on the 19th the Company entrucked at Base Camp and moved via motor convoy to Pallikula Bay area, Espiritu Santo, N.H., distance tra­veled 16 miles, arriving there at 1050, Company immediately embarked in LCVPs for transportation to the USS Missoula (APA 211). Boarded the USS Missoula at 1200, and all personnel were quartered and messed, On March 21st at 0900, the Company participated in a debarkation exercise consisting of leaving the ship by debarkation nets into LCVPs formed in waves. All men were transferred to LVTs at sea and made a practice run, then returned aboard ship at 1145, On the 23d, the Company debarked at 0800 for Regimental Combat Team landing exercises. H hour was at 0930, and at that time the assault waves left the line of departure. The landing was halted just short of the beach, and all personnel returned aboard ship at 1025.




25 March 1945. The Company sailed from Pallikula Bay, Espiritu Santo, N.H., 1eaving at 0700 this date. Starting on the 26th, all personnel received various detailed orientation discussions on the coming operation in the Ryukyu’s Islands, and pursued the usua1 ship drills, guard, and daily fatigue detai1s.


APRIL 1945


Our ship anchored at Ulithi Atoll, in the Caroline Islands, at 1130 on the 3d of April, remained there one day and departed from Ulithi Atoll at 0930 on the 4th. Continued voyage to Okinawa, Ryukyu’s Islands.


9 April 1945. The Company debarked from the USS Missoula (APA 211) at 1100, this date. The 165-1 Battalion Combat Team formed assault waves and then headed for the secured Hagushi Beaches. The Company landed on the Brown Beaches at 1310. The Company marched to a Battalion Bivouac, a distance of 7 miles,


10-19 April 1945. On the 10th, PFC C. Eaton and PVT J.V. Cox captured the first prisoner of this operation. On 11 April this Company relieved Company I, 17th Infantry, in the vicinity of Nakagusuku Wan, and set up a defense of the area, Routine patrols were also established. Staff Sergeant C.A. Browne captured one Jap prisoner. One Jap officer, with saber and pistol, was killed by PFC Lindsey while on a patrol. On 14 April 1945 this Company was relieved of its security mission at Nakagusuku Wan by Company C, 383d Infantry, at 1215, and moved South to a temporary bivouac area. For the next four consecutive nights the Company area was shelled by enemy artillery from 1900 to 2100 each night. On 19 April 1945 the Company marched from the Regimental Bivouac Area 4 miles Northeast of Naha, to the front lines, which were 800 yards West of Machinato, to be in position for the jump-off at H hour the next morning,


20 April 1945, At 0630 this Company moved into the front line to resume the attack after it had relieved the unit on the line. At 0700 the enemy started shelling our position with artillery, knee mortars, and scattered rifle fire. The Company Commander, 1LT J. M. O’Brien, and two enlisted men were hit by this artillery and knee mortar fire, and had to be evacuated. Lt S.R. Skuthan then took command of the Company and at H hour (0730) this Company jumped off with the mission of moving to the South and securing the village of Gusukuma. At 1100 this Company had only moved 300 yards and was held down by machine gun fire and mortar fire.  SPMs were called for and they neutralized the enemy position, while the Company moved forward. At 1600 the Company had reached the eastern edge of Gusukuma and was ordered to dig in for the night. During the night the Company was sub­jected to a very heavy enemy artillery barrage.


21 April 1945. At 0630 this Company jumped off again to resume its attack on Gusukuma Village. Prior to the attack, an artillery and mortar barrage were laid on the town. The attack was halted when the enemy fire became so intense that it was impossible to move, PVT James E. Funderburk, rifleman and scout, volunteered to try to spot the source of enemy fire, but was killed while crawling through the shell-swept area (PVT Funderburk was later posthumously awarded the Silver Star for his actions here). The Company was ordered to hold where it was until the unit on our right came abreast. At 1700 contact was made with the unit on our right and at that time the men were ordered to prepare their night defense positions on the east edge of Gusakuma., At 2100 the Japs opened up with the heaviest artillery barrage this Company had seen, and followed it with a counter-attack, An estimated 250 Japs participated in this counter-attack. Company K, on our right, was driven back with our right platoon. When the counter-attack had been repulsed, both Company A and Company K had to build a new defense line on the reserve platoon of the Company. The artillery and mortar fire con­tinued throughout the night.


22 April 1945, At 1230 this Company moved into battalion reserve.  At 1700 this Company was taken from reserve and was used to fill in a gap that existed between Companies B and C. A platoon of heavy machine guns were attached to lay down final protective fires. At 2100 the Japs let loose with a heavy artillery barrage that continued until 2400. Small groups of Japs tried to infiltrate through our lines, but were killed by the sentries in the First and Second Platoons,


23 April 1945. The 1st Platoon of this Company was attached to Company C in their attack on the ridge North of Gusukuma Village. Company A supported Company C by fire; the position used was the one the Company occupied the previous night. At 1700 a new 3attalion night defense line was set up. The Japs opened up again with their artillery barrage at 1900 and continued firing until 2345, A three—man enemy patrol tried to infiltrate through our lines at night, but were quickly discovered and killed by the Second platoon,


24 April 1945. This Company was ordered to continue its attack on the Village of Gusukuma and the heavily fortified ridge northeast of the town. When the Company had advanced 200 yards, the Company was halted by a tremendous amount of Jap machine gun and mortar fire from the village. An air strike was requested by the Battalion Commander, and the Company had to move back to the safety units for the air strike. A new battalion night defense line was set up. At 1700 the enemy opened up with a heavy artillery barrage on our lines, that continued throughout the night.


25 April 1945. Prior to 0730 the Company objective was covered with mortar and machine gun fire. At 0730 this Company jumped off to continue its attack on Gusukuma Village and the rocky ridge just North of the village. By 1000 the Second Platoon was in the village. The third followed the Second and then moved to the left flank of the Second Platoon. The First Platoon was in Company support. At 1200 the Company was ordered by the Battalion CP to discontinue its original mission and, instead, drive through the town, due West, to clear out the town of any possible enemy hiding there, Light enemy resistance was encountered in the town and by 1500 the company was at the West edge of town. Contact was made with Company L on the left, and G on the right. At 1700 this Company ordered to prepare its night defense positions, keeping contact with the units on our right and left. At 1900 the enemy started to hammer our lines with artillery and mortar fire.


26 April1945. This Company was relieved in the line by Company I. The Company was then given the mission of mopping-up Gusukuma Village. The mop-up was broken down into phase lines and a thorough search of the village was made. At 1400 the Company once again moved to the est edge of town to prepare positions for the night, and make necessary plans for the attack of a rocky ridge running North and West of the town, During the night the enemy was shelling the Company with knee mortars and artillery, with also an occasional round fired from an antitank gun.


27 Apri1 1945, The Company at 0700 laid down preparatory fires on the ridge 200 yards Northwest of Gusukuma and at 0730 the attack started. The Company was pinned down, after it had advanced 200 yards, by heavy machine gun, knee mortar, rifle fire and a 47mm antitank gun. Tanks were called for to assist in the attack of this strong point, The tanks arrived and at once set to work destroying positions the enemy held. Two tanks were destroyed and another section of tanks were called for, The tanks continued to pulverize the target and Company A’s attack was postponed until the following day. During the night the enemy harassed this Company with mortar fire, and our Fourth Platoon harassed the enemy. Two Jap light machine guns were captured at 2200 by S/Sgt P.J. Bulger, when some of the Japs attempted to get through the First Platoon lines and were killed.


28 April 1945. Company A in a coordinated attack with Company F and a Section of SPMs assaulted the rocky ridge 200 yards Northwest of Gusukuma Village. The Third Platoon was attached to Company F in the attack. The First platoon made the assault under the supporting fires of the Second platoon. When the First platoon was on the objective, the Second Platoon joined them in the continuing of the attack and mop-up of the target. The whole target had to be gone over and all the caves blown with TNT. Company F, prior to the final assault, was relieved, and Company A continued on alone. The company completed its mission and when an inspection was made of the area, 80 Japs lay dead. One 12cm dual-purpose gun was silenced, and 5 heavy machine guns and one 47mm gun were buried in the caves that were blown, This ridge, upon close inspection, was the controlling: terrain feature dominating the Battalion’s route of supply and the approach to Machinato Airfield, Company A was relieved of this mission by Company I at l830. This Company then returned to Battalion Reserve and marched to the Battalion Sector on the front lines. Night defense positions were set up by 2000 on the West side of Machinato Airfie1d.  During the night the Company was shelled by Jap artillery and mortar fire.


29 April 1945. At 1300 this Company was released from Battalion reserve ant had the mission of filling in the gap between Company B and Company C in their attack on the Battalion objective. At 1500 the attack had been halted, as an air strike had been called by the Battalion Commander. Company A was released at 1630 to revert back to Battalion reserve. Bight defense posi­tions were prepared and at 1700 the enemy opened up with artillery and mortar fire on our lines. One Jap soldier who infiltrated through our lines was killed by the First Platoon.


30 April 1945. The lot En, 165th Infantry, was relieved on the front lines by the 1st Marine Division at 1500, and the Battalion marched back to a Regimental assembly area. PFC Masor, Acting Squad Leader of a mortar squad, was seriously injured when, prior to the Company being relieved, he stepped on a mine. The following-named enlisted men joined the Company during the attack on Gusukuma Village on 27 April 1945:


PVT A,J. Mack

PVT M.F. Lynch

PVT R.J. McCarthy

PVT J.T. McCurdy, Jr.

PVT R.B. McAllister, Jr.

PVT G.L. Madison

PVT J.D. McConnel

PVT L.H. Manley

PVT D.L. McClune

PVT B.B. Mangum, Jr.


MAY 1945


On May 1st the Company moved from the Regimental bivouac area, 4 miles Northeast of Machinato Airfield, via truck to 3/4 mile North of Jinuza Vil­lage. Distance traveled was 30 miles, and Company arrived at l730 and set up a temporary camp. The only activity early in the month was routine secur­ity patrols which were active both day and night. Very little enemy activity encountered in this sector of the island, patrols of platoon strength sent out to mop up this sector, One prisoner of war was captured May 4th. The resistance offered by the enemy was from caves, brush-covered ravines and gullies, The Company mission was to clean up the last bit of this feeble resistance. Another prisoner of war taken on the 5th of May. 2d Lt Thomas J. O'Toole was relieved from assignment with the Company on May 7th, and assigned to Co B, this regiment. Also, on this date 2d Lt Maynard C. Hahn was assigned to the Company from Company B, this Regiment. 2 prisoners of war were captured on the 9th, during routine patrol missions. On May 19th, the Company marched from temporary bivouac area 1400 yards North of Jinuza Village to a permanent camp 1 mile Southwest of Kushi Village. The distance marched was approximately 3 miles, and the Company arrived at 1300, Company remained here till the 18th of May, then moved via truck to the Regimental bivouac area at Ishikawa Village, 10 miles away. On the 19th this Company designated as part or Regimental Combat Team-165, and moved from the Regimental bivouac area to take part in a Division mop up of the Northern Sector of Okinawa, moved 2 miles, and encountered no enemy, but destroyed several supply points and installations. 3 enemy male civilians captured on the 21st and turned over to 1st Bn S2. This Company engaged in the division mop-up of northern Okinawa the remainder of the month. On the 30th the Company engaged in combat with 20 Japanese soldiers, well-armed and equipped with rifles, knee mortars and 1 heavy machine gun, plus plenty of rations, water and ammunition, 4 of the enemy were killed, several were wounded and the others retreated North. Casualties sustained by Company in this action was one enlisted man slightly wounded.


JUNE 1945


Continuation of the Division mop-up till the 8th of June, when the Company was relieved for a 2-day rest period.  Returned to the mop-up the 10th to the 17th, when the Company was again relieved-this time for a one-day rest period. Moved via truck to base camp, a distance of 2 miles. After this rest period, the Company moved from Base Camp to Motobu Peninsula to continue Division Mop-up of Northern Okinawa. This phase of the mop-up lasted till the 26th of June before it was completed, and then the Company moved via truck to 3 miles northeast of Nago to continue its mission in the Division mop-up.


JULY 1945


On the lot of this month 2d Lt Maynard C. Hahn was relieved of assignment, and assigned to Company E, 165th Inf. Also, on this date, 1st Lts Joseph W. Cleary and Roy J. Patterson were assigned to Company A from Companies E and Cannon, respectively.  On July 3d the Company moved via truck from 1 mile Northeast of Nago to Red Beach 2, traveling a distance of 25 miles, arriving there at 1055. This move was in conjunction with the move of the entire 1st Battalion, 165th Infantry, to this new area. The 1st Bn was pulled out of the Division mop-up and detailed as a “Port Battalion", and used to unload and stack Class I and II supplies from Red Beach to Sobe Dump. During the rest of the month practically all of the enlisted men and officers from all units of the 27th Infantry Division who had J5 or more points were sent down to the 1st Battalion on detached Service. This was done to insure that none of the "high-pointers" would have a hazardous duty assignment prior to readjustment to the United States. All companies in the 1st Battalion were quite a few men overstrength, and the highest number assigned. and attached to this 5ompany was g officers and 270 enlisted men. On July 31st, 1st Lt Roy J. Patterson was relieved from assignment to Company A and assigned to Cannon Company, l65th Infantry. Also on this date the Company gained 3 new officers - 2d Lts Mortan E. Domonoske and John F. Smith from Company M, 165th Infantry, and 2d Lt John D.  McFerren from Company K, 165th infantry.




Early this month all of the high-pointers from this Company who were on temporary duty in the States (45-day rest and recreation furloughs), were dropped from assignment, to be discharged from the Service because of high point scores. On the 6th the United States used the first atomic bomb, and there was much speculation in the Company as to how it would affect the end of the war. Then, on the 7th, when Russia entered the war against Japan, all personnel were forecasting that Japan would fold up very soon. When the news of Japan's surrender was announced about 2115 on August 10th, there was a spectacular demonstration of military and naval pyrotechnics all over Okinawa. This “victory blow-off” lasted about one half of an hour, and several score men were wounded by small arms fire and falling shrapnel. No one from this organization was hurt, however, The entire 27th Division was alerted on the 12th to prepare for an airborne movement to Japan as soon as Japan s surrender is official and planes become available. 1st Lt Stephen R. Skuthan was promoted to Captain on the 15th (effective August 8th). Company A was relieved from. its Port Butta1ion duties of unloading and stacking Class I and Class II supplies when the alert order came down from Division. The remainder of the month was spent in preparing for the airborne move to our next target area in Japan. The 11th Airborne Division began moving to Japan the latter part of August, and the 27th Division is to use the same planes when the 11th AB completes their move.




From the 1st to the 10th the Company was engaged in final shaping-up to leave Okinawa by air for Japan. On September 7th, PFC Alejandro Ruiz, ASN 384424l2, MOS 521, was relieved from assignment to Company and transferred to Headquarters special Troops, Tenth Army, Okinawa, Ryukyu's Islands, per paragraph 7, Special Orders No, 222, Headquarters Tenth Army. PFC Ruiz has been recommended for the Congressional Medal of Honor, for exceptional heroism in combat on 28 April 1945 during the Okinawa battle, and he was transferred to a non-hazardous duty assignment pending War Department action on the recommendation. On September 10th, the Company entrucked in vicinity of Red Beach, and moved to Kadena Airfield , Okinawa, Ryukyu's Islands.  The first element of the Company loaded on C 54s and departed from Okinawa at 1530, by air. The target area was Atsugi Airfield, Honshu Island, Japan, a flight of approximately 900 miles which took 5 hours flying time. Upon arrival at Atsugi Airfield, the Company unloaded, and marched 3 miles to a temporary Regimental Bivouac area. The last elements of the Company arrived at Atsugi Airfield and joined the Company at 1230 on September 11th, At 0930 on the 12th the Company entrained at Atsugi Railroad Station and moved to Hiratsuka, on the East coast of Honshu Island, Japan, a distance of approximately 25 miles. Then, the Company marched from Hiratsuka Railroad, Station to a temporary Regimental Area 1 mile South of Hiratsuka. The group of barracks we were quartered in were formerly used by the Japanese Kaigan Army Head­quarters units. The first two days in our new area was devoted to house-keeping details of getting settled, then Regiment sent down a short training schedule that consisted of one-half hour of physical training arid one-half hour of dismounted drill each morning. Twenty percent of the Company were given passes daily to visit the nearby Japanese towns of Hiratsuka and Iso. The alert order for the move of’ the 165th Infantry Regiment to its permanent area of occupation came down on September 20th, All officers with over 85 points and all enlisted men with over 80 points (Adjusted Service Rating scores as of 12 May 1945) were left behind, for readjustment to the United states. At 1700 on the 24th the Company left the bivouac area and entrained at Hiratsuka to move to Takada, Niigata Prefecture, on the West coast of Honshu Island, via Yokohama and Tokyo, The Company arrived at Takada at 1245 on the 25th of September, and the distance traveled was approximately 200 miles. The Company then marched from the Takada Railroad Station to our new bivouac are one and one—half’ miles Southeast of Takuda, and were quartered in barracks formerly used by a Japanese mountain artillery Battalion.  As this area was to he our permanent location for occupation duty, the remainder of the month was spend getting settled down, along with the usual guard and fatigue duties.




On the 5th of this month, 2d Lt William Brooks transferred from this company to Headquarters Company, 1st Bn, this Regiment. October 15th, 1st Lt Matthew C. Masem was relieved from assignment to Company (on DO with the rear echelon on Okinawa) and transferred to ASCOM, Okinawa, Ryukyu’s Islands, for readjustment to the United States. The Takada area had, not been bombed nor has it otherwise visibly suffered because of the war, and during this month our main occupation duties consisted of sending out small motorized patrols, under strict Regimental or Battalion control, to cover our zone of responsibility. These patrols were charged with tabulating all war plants, inventorying all classes of supplies, etc., and maintaining general surveillance of our area. For one week after our arrival in Takada only 10 percent of the Company were allowed passes daily, from 1300 to 1800. This situation prevailed until the second week, when General Headquarters in Tokyo announced the lifting of practically all non-fraternization restrictions, Normal pass privileges were then instituted - 50 percent of Company personnel allowed passes daily, from after duty hours (1700) to 2200. Also during the second week of this month a regular training schedule began for the Regiment, which consisted of daily periods of physical training, dismounted drill, orientation classes, and one hour daily on some miscellaneous basic instruction, such as nomenclature and functioning of Infantry weapons, sighting & aiming, positions, and so on; classes on Interior Guard, Personal Hygiene and related subjects were also held. At the end of the month all enlisted men with 69 or more points had been readjusted to the United States, and it is believed that the above-mentioned type of basic training was caused by the influx of replacements fresh from the States. 35 members of this organization signed up to attend the Army Education Program classes to begin 1 November 1945; these classes are to be given every afternoon, Monday through Friday, from 1330 to 1530. On the 26th, Captain Stephen R. Skuthan was relieved from assign­ment and transferred out of the Company for readjustment to the United States. Also, on the 26th, 1st Lt Alonzo D. Dodd joined the Company from Headquarters Company, 1st Bn, this Regiment, and assumed command.




On the 1st, 2d Lt William F. Walker was assigned to Company A, and on November 4th 2d Lt Robert W. Adams was assigned and joined the Company. Lt Adams came to us from the AMERICAL Division, which departed. for the United States the first of the month.. Following is a roster of officers in the Company as of the end of this month, November 1945:


1st Lt Alonzo B. Dodd

Co Cmdr

1st Lt John F. Smith

X 0

2d Lt John B. McFerren

Plt Ldr

2d Lt Merton E. Domonoske

Plt Ldr

2d Lt William F. Walker

Plt Ldr

2d Lt Robert W. Adams

Plt Ldr



The 27th Division was alerted to prepare to return to the United States for deactivation sometime in December, so in addition to the usual guard and fatigue duties, the Company was engaged the latter part of the month in cleaning up and turning in to Regimental Supply all organizational property. Thanksgiving Day was celebrated by a holiday and the usual "big" meal of turkey with all the trimmings. Nine members of the Company, including 1st Sgt Edward A. Mareka, responded to the Regimental Recruiting drive to get men to re-enlist in the Regular Army. At the end of this month the point score, or the number of years service, required for officers and enlisted men to return to the United States with the Division, was announced: officers must have either 73 points or 4 years 3 months service; enlisted men must have either 55 points or 4 years service- the points computed as of 2 September 1945, and the years service as of 1 December 1945. This ruling permits only one officer and twenty two enlisted mien to return to the United States with the Division from Company A.




On the 2d of this month the transfer of low-point officers and enlisted men out of the Company began. 2d Lt William F. Walker was relieved from assignment on December 3d and transferred to the 11th Airborne Division for paratroop training, along with 13 enlisted men from the Company. All of these men were volunteers, for the paratroopers. On the 6th the Company lost three officers: 1st Lt John F. Smith, and 2d Lts Merton E. Domonoske and Robert W. Adams. These officers were relieved from assignment to the Company and assigned to ASCOM C, near Tokyo. practically all low-pointers had been transferred out of the company to other organizations by December 7th. On December 7th, PFC Samuel Masor, 32058915, a member of this company who was seriously wounded during the Okinawa operation, was temporarily promoted to Staff sergeant effective 1 April 1945. After being wounded, PFC Masor was evacuated to the United States, and this promotion is by the authority of paragraph 11, AR 615-5, C 7. This Company continued preparations for move to Yokohama POE. The entire 165th Infantry Regiment (which at this time consisted of approximately 500 officers and enlisted men) were consolidated in barracks in the 2d Battalion area. At 1700 13 December 1945 this Company entrucked from Regimental Area #2 (2d Bn Area) with all personal and organizational baggage, and moved to the Takada Railroad Station, a distance of slightly more than a mile. Upon arrival at the station the Company boarded the train and departed from Takada, Honshu, Japan, at 1847. We arrived in Yokohama, Honshu, Japan, at 0930 14 December 1945, distance traveled was approximately 200 miles. Entrucked at Yokohama Railroad 8tation and proceeded to Yokohama docks, where we immediately went aboard the USS Admiral R. E. Coontz (APA 122). At 0800 15 December 1945 our ship departed from Yokohama Harbor, bound for the Continental United States. All officers and enlisted men in the entire 27th Infantry Division have been broken down into Separation Center and Reception Center Groups, and were quartered in compartments on the ship according to their respective group. This, in effect, ended the tactical organization of this Company, but individual Company Morning Reports were re­quired until the date of inactivation. The trip was routine, with the usual shipboard duties. We crossed the International Date Line on 19 December 1945. Religious services were held daily. The USS Admiral R.E. Coontz arrived at the Port of Seattle, Washington, at 1400 24 December 1945. Due to lack of facilities for quartering troops at Fort Lawton, Washington, all personnel remained aboard ship, with the exception of a small administrative cadre, who went ashore to proceed with the deactivation of the unit. The remainder of the personnel came ashore on 30 December 1045, and on this date 28 enlisted men were relieved from assignment to the Company, and attached unassigned to Ft Lawton Staging Area, Ft Lawton, Calif., leaving only one officer and one enlisted man assigned to the Company (as Co. cadre). The 27th Infantry Dive was inactivated effective at 2400 31 December 1945, and on this date 1st Lt Alonzo D. Dodd and T/5 John M. Fern were relieved from assignment and attached unassigned to Ft Lawton Staging Area, Ft Lawton, Washington. All records of Company “A”, 165th Infantry, were forwarded to Organizational Records Branch, A.G.O. Savannah Records Depot, Savannah, Georgia.



                                       COMBAT AWARDS    COMPANY A





O’Brien, Lawrence J.


Bronze Star


Martin, G.E.


Bronze Star


Greylock, William A.


Bronze 3tar


Anderson, Clarence


Bronze star


Cresson, Kermit I


Bronze Star


O’Toole, Thomas J.


Bronze star


O'Brien, Lawrence J.


Silver Star


King, Richard L.


Silver Star


Smith, Edward R.


Silver Star


Shires, Henry A.


Silver star


Gunter, Thestieus B.


Silver Star


Purdy, D’Arcy A.


Silver Star


Hoffman, Charles A.


Silver Star


Bottke, Elmer F.


Silver Star


Didrick, Paul R.


Silver Star   


Davis, Thomas E.


Silver Star


Gobin, Anthony S.


Silver Star


Shuart, Vernon L.


Silver Star  


Medina, Manuel H.


Silver Star


Kice, William B. (Med D)


Silver Star


O’Toole, Thomas J.


Bronze Star


Kowalski, Edward S.


Bronze Star


Noonan, Francis E.


Bronze Star


Masem, Mathew C.


Bronze Star


Decay, Joe J.


Bronze Star


Deal, George R., Jr.


Bronze Star


Cantrell, Lee I.


Bronze Star


Bronstein, Jack A.


Bronze Star


Driskill, Donald. A.


Bronze Star


Clubb, Robert W.


Bronze Star   


McGrath, William F.


Bronze Star


Tritsch, Charles J.


Bronze Star


Rogers, Dale E.


Bronze Star


Doss, Albert J.


Bronze Star


Fitzpatrick, James J.


Bronze Star


Schmidt, Steven M., Jr.


Bronze Star


Abelin, Apollo C.


Bronze Star  


Tydeman, Harold V.


Bronze Star


Land, Presley


Bronze Star


Reed, Leo M.


Bronze Star


Kennedy, Howard R.


Bronze Star


Lint, George E.


Bronze Star


Cox, Ralph


Bronze Star


Kaye, Stanley J.


Bronze Star


Gladdin, Joe M.


Bronze Star


Sekula, John


Bronze Star


Hoffman, Charles A.


Bronze Star


Goldberg Herman


Bronze Star


Funderburk, James E.


Silver Star


Brieling, George C.


Silver Star


Land, Presley B.


Silver Star   


Bulger, Peter J.


Silver Star   


O’Toole, John P.


Silver Star   


Medina, Melchior R.


Bronze Star


Masor, Samuel


Bronze Star  


Browne, Claude A.


Bronze Star


Ruiz, Alejandro


Congressional Medal of Honor




|Home| |Origin| |Regiment| |"A" Company| |The People| |Father Duffy| |Medal of Honor| |Lineage and Honors| |Traditions| |Heraldry| |Civil War| |Antietam| |Spanish American War| |Captain Henry Mingay| |1865-1916| |Rouge Bouquet| |1940| |World War II| |THE CAPTURE OF MAKIN| |1945-2005| |Chaplains| |JFK 1963| |1966 "The Sergeants"| |1967 "The Sergeants"| |1969 Beefsteak| |1971 Garryowen| |1971 Logan - Duffy| |Garryowen 1972| |1986 CIA| |Regimental Installation Ceremony| |The Armory| |Military Records| |Casualties in Iraq| |E Company| |NCOs| |Officers| |Poetry| |Historical Restoration Project| |Iraqi Freedom| |One If By Land| |Civil War Flag Project| |Check Your Email| |Timothy Donohue| |Contact Us| |Join the Veteran Corps| |Colonels| |Names on Crest| |1848 Declaration| |Fredericksburg 150th| |Official History|